I regard myself first and foremost as a political and intellectual historian, using the tools offered by political science methodology to reconstruct a political issue in historical terms.
|PhD in Comparative Political History||University of Bologna|
|BA in Political Science||University of Bologna|
|Professional Body||Membership Level|
|Political Science Association||Member|
|Institute of Historical Association||Member|
|Association for the Study of Modern Italy||Treasurer|
|SISSCo-Società italiana per lo studio della storia contemporanea||Member|
Areas of Expertise and Research Interests
European Political History; Intellectual History of Italy and Britain
Areas of teaching
- Modern European History
- 5Star Online Populism in Historical Perspective – @We, the people: Political, media and popular discourses of ‘us’ and ‘them’. LSE – Department of Media and Communication, 26-27 October 2018.
- Cosmopolitan Islanders: British Marxist Historiography and the Search for Med-Europe(s); @9th Symposium of the Research Network on the History of the Idea of Europe. Mediterranean Europe(s): Images and Ideas of Europe from the Mediterranean Shores – Naples 4-6 July 2018.
- Brexit and the role of the press and online media in re-narrating Europe’s discourse before and after the referendum, in Which Europe is the UK Brexiting from? Pre- and Post-Referendum Discursive Strategies – Panel @24th International Conference of Europeanists – Sustainability and Transformation, University of Glasgow – UK July 12-14, 2017.
- The East and the Rest: British Leftwing intellectuals’ refashioning of the European idea at the end of the Cold War, Europe and the East: Self and Other in the History of the European Idea – University of East Anglia, Norwich, June 14th-16th, 2016.
- Marxism Today and Italian Communism. A case-study for Marxism and civil society, ‘War of Position: Marxism and Civil Society’, International Conference Manchester, 8-10 June 2017.
- Brexit as post-partisan populism? Brexit discourse and the role of the media before and after the referendum, ‘Current populism in Europe and the role of the media’, Goethe-Institut Prague 22-23 May 2017.
- ‘Splendid isolation again? Brexit and the role of the press and online media in re-narrating Europe’s discourse’, in Discourses of European Identity at Time of Brexit’, panel at 1st International Conference on ‘Europe in Discourse: Identity, Diversity, Borders’, Hellenic American University / Hellenic American College, Athens, 23-25 September 2016.
- British intellectuals and the European idea. Narrating Europe between history and politics (1956-1989), ‘Narrating Europe – symposium: Contradictions: envisioning European futures’ – organized by the Council for European Studies, Science Po, Paris – 8-10 July 2015.
- Intellectuals, Journals and the Legitimatization of Political Power: Some Reflections Starting from the Case of Italian Intellec-tuals Discourse in 1950s and 1960s, ‘Mapping Literary Space: Intellectuals, Journals, and Publishers in Italy, 1940-1960 Symposium, University of Manchester: 13 June 2014.
- Left-wing Intellectual Discourse and Foreign Policy (1950s-1960s), ‘The Italian Left and Foreign Policy’, Department of Politics and International Studies (POLIS) – University of Cambridge: 9 June 2014.
- The English way to Italian Socialism: Pci, Red Bologna and Italian Communist culture as perceived in the 1970s and 1980s British political debate, ‘Italy made in England: Contemporary British Perspective on Italian Cul-ture’ – University of Warwick: 22 February 2014.
- Discorso intellettuale inglese e politica estera negli anni Ottanta: una difficile strada per il rinnovamento, ‘Cantieri di Storia-SISSCo’ – Conference, Università di Salerno: 10-12 September 2013.
- Italian intellectual discourse, 1950s and 1960s. A political perspective, Divinity School, St John’s College, University of Cambridge: 5 February 2013.
- The ‘Long ‘68’: Myth and Counter-myth in the Italian Intellectual Discourse, ‘A Multifaceted Decade of Protest in Italy: 1968-1978 Between Myth and Reality – Conference’, School of Modern languages, Bangor University: 17-19 September 2012.
- ‘Westminster Fascination’. English Political Model in the Post-ww2 Italian Intellectual Discourse, ‘Transnational Italy: National Identity and the World Atlas – Conference’, University of Reading: 13-14 July 2012.
- Searching for ‘Normality’: Left-wing Intellectuals and Periodicals in the post-WW2 Italian Democracy (1945-1992), Roundtable session, ‘Periodical across Europe – Conference’, University of Salford-Manchester: 9-10 December 2011.
- ‘Appeasement’, in The SAGE Encyclopedia of War: Social Science Perspectives, Thousand Oaks: Sage 2016.
- ‘New Labour fra modernizzazione e post-democrazia: i “non luoghi” della politica inglese’, in I non-luoghi della formazione politica, a cura di B. Coccia, Roma: Apes 2015.
- ‘I partiti politici a Bologna durante la Prima repubblica’, in Storia di Bologna. Vol. 4/2: Bologna in età contemporanea (1915-2000), a cura di A. Varni, Bologna: Bononia University Press 2013.
- ‘Camera del lavoro e sindacato Bolognese fra anni Sessanta e Settanta: declino o rinnovamento?’, in Le Camere del lavoro in Emilia-Romagna: ieri e domani, a cura di C. De Maria, Bologna: Edizioni Socialmente 2013.
- ‘Lettura e modernizzazione nel secondo Novecento. Un punto di vista privilegiato: la Biblioteca de «Il Mulino»’, in Biblioteche e lettura a Modena e provincia dall’Unità d’Italia ad oggi, a cura di G. Montecchi e R. Manelli, Bologna: IBC-Edizioni Compositori 2012.
- ‘Ma è esistito davvero un “modello emiliano”? Cenni di un dibattito’, in Bologna Futuro. Il modello emiliano alla sfida del XXI secolo, a cura di C. De Maria, Bologna: CLUEB 2012.
- ‘A co-operative of intellectuals: the encounter between co-operative values and urban planning. An Italian case-study’, in The Hidden Alternative? Co-Operative Values: Past, Present & Future, eds by A. Webster, L. Shaw, J.K. Walton, A. Brown, D. Stewart, Manchester: Manchester University Press 2011.
- ‘Spostare avanti la soglia dei diritti. Contrattazione, conflittualità e cittadinanza nell’esperienza sindacale di Claudio Sabattini’, in Operai e sindacato a Bologna (1968-1974), a cura di L. Baldissara e A. Pepe, Roma: Ediesse 2010.
- Italy as Europe’s Political Laboratory? Thirty Years of Italian Political History, 1990-2018, Italian Study Library Bulletin. 2019.
- ‘Splendid Isolation Again? Brexit and the Role of the Press and Online Media in Re-narrating the European Discourse’, in ‘Brexit’ in Media & Political Discourses: From National Populist Imaginary to Cross-National Social & Political Crisis’, in Critical Discourse Studies (Taylor & Francis), special issue edited by Franco Zappettini and Michal Krzyzanowski (2019).
- At the origins of the political discourse of the 5-Star Movement (M5S): Internet, direct democracy and the “future of the past”, with Marta Musso. Internet Histories, 2018.
- ‘The English Way to Italian Socialism: Pci, Red Bologna and Italian Communist Culture in the 1970s and 1980s’, in Modern Languages Open (Liverpool University Press), special issue edited by Giacomo Comiati and Marina Piperno (2017).
- ’British intellectual identities and the European idea after the Suez crisis’, Journal of British identities, 1: 2017: pp. 1-13.
- ‘Discorso intellettuale e politica internazionale nella Gran Bretagna degli anni ottanta’, in Memoria e Ricerca (Il Mulino), 1, 2016: pp. 79-96.
- ‘Introduzione’, in ‘Intellettuali e politica estera’, Memoria e Ricerca (Il Mulino), special issue 1, 2016: pp. 5-8.
- ’Intellectuals, journals and the legitimatization of political power: some reflections starting from the case of Italian intellectual discourse in 1950s and 1960s’ in Modern Italy (Cambridge University Press), 21, 2016: pp 185-197.
- ‘Dai fondi privati di Modena agli archivi di Addis Abeba. Un progetto per censire, condividere e restituire un passato comune’, in E-Review, 1, 2013, DOI: 10.12977/ereview25.
- ‘A Splenetic isolation. Dibattito pubblico e intellettuali inglesi di fronte all’Affair Suez’, in Ventunesimo Secolo, 2-2009, pp. 109-126.
- ‘Intellettuali italiani fra “società opulenta” e “democrazia del benessere”: il caso de «Il Mulino» 1958-1968’, in Mondo Contemporaneo, 1 (2009), pp. 45-77.
JOURNALS – SPECIAL ISSUES
- ‘New issues, old political cultures: politicising environment in Europe in the 1970s and 1980s’, edited by Marzia Maccaferri and Lucia Bonfreschi, Contemporary European History special issue with intervention of Stephen Milder, Wim van Meurs, Alexis Vrignon (under revision)
- ‘Intellettuali e politica estera’, edited by Marzia Maccaferri and Lucia Bonfreschi, Memoria e Ricerca (Il Mulino), special issue, 1:2016. Included articles by Elisabetta Brighi and Or Rosenboim, Javiez Muñoz Soro, and Frédéric Attal.